Recipe - Spicy Falafel Salad
Deep-fried falafel isn’t the healthiest choice for adding to your salad bowl, and pan-seared falafel can often be greasy – even when using a small amount of oil. Cut down on the fat and still make tasty homemade falafel with an air fryer! An air fryer uses hot air circulation to give you that crispy outer finish and a soft centre for the best burst of flavour.
Falafel makes a great afternoon snack, or the perfect accompaniment to a salad bowl! With a mix of buckwheat, avocado and red cabbage – turn your regular salad up a notch with a little bit of spice.
For the falafel:
- 1 can of chickpeas in water (400g)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of hot cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the rest:
- 80g of buckwheat
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, sliced
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 8 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Mixed salad leaves
- Drain the chickpeas and add them into a food processor or blender along with all of the falafel ingredients, except the egg. Blend until coarse and empty the mix into a mixing bowl, beating in the egg and mix thoroughly.
- With your hands, begin to roll the mix into ping pong size balls, this should make roughly about 10 individual falafels. Once rolled, turn on your air fryer, set the temperature to 200 degrees and air fry for 25 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the buckwheat and cook for 12-15 minutes. While the buckwheat is cooking in the pan, begin preparing the dressing.
- To make the yoghurt dressing, add the Greek yoghurt and chopped garlic clove into a mixing bowl as well as add a pinch of salt and a generous helping of cracked black pepper. Once mixed, add in a teaspoon of dried mint and chopped coriander and squeeze the juice of half a lemon.
- Mix a couple of teaspoons of the lemon yoghurt dressing with the shredded cabbage and add in a teaspoon of honey.
- After the buckwheat has cooked, add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix in some chopped fresh coriander and set aside.
- Once the falafel has fully cooked in the air fryer, they should be hard to the touch on the outside and softer on the inside. Begin putting together the falafel, buckwheat, red cabbage, avocado, cherry tomatoes and salad leaves in any way you like. Drizzle with the lemon yoghurt dressing and serve!